Probiotics are live organisms like bacteria and yeast, which, when induced in the body in appropriate quantities can result in huge health benefits. The intestinal tract in the human body naturally contains around 300 to 500 live organisms that help in maintaining the intestinal health and a healthy digestive system. However, if the right balance of healthy bacteria in the intestine gets disturbed, it can lead to a number of digestive disorders. Intestinal problems can also occur in case the intestinal lining is injured. Taking probiotic supplements can be immensely helpful in maintaining the integrity of the intestinal lining and a healthy digestive system.
Probiotic supplements are believed to be extremely beneficial in the treatment of various health conditions. Different probiotic strains are used for the treatment of different health issues. Let us discuss in brief how these supplements can help:
- Probiotics help in strengthening the immune system. It has been found that communities that maintain an overly hygienic lifestyle are highly prone to develop various autoimmune and allergic diseases. This is because their immune system is not made to face adequate challenges from pathogenic organisms. Probiotics help in enhancing the strength of the immune system by introducing healthy bacteria in the body to challenge the immune system in a positive manner.
- Despite the lack of adequate medical evidences, it is claimed that probiotics can be highly beneficial in treating various yeast infections like oral thrush, urinary tract infection and vaginitis. It is one of the most effective and helpful supplements that can be taken along with antibiotics. Moreover, probiotics also help in preventing the body from growing resistance to antibiotics.
- Probiotics help immensely in treating chronic constipation that can lead to the accumulation of harmful toxins in the body, consequently resulting in a number of health conditions like bloating, nausea, abdominal cramps, headache, fatigue, bad breath, mood swings and many more. Probiotic supplements help in maintaining healthy and regular bowel movement.
- In some recent medical studies, it has been found that there are some particular probiotic strains that can help in the prevention of pre-term births and also the various kinds of health complications occurring in babies due to being born pre-mature.
The innumerable positive health effects of probiotic supplements cannot be generalized owing to the fact that different strains are used for the treatment of different health issues. However, some of the significant health benefits of probiotics include:
- Prevention of diarrhea that is induced by retavirus infection or the use of antibiotics.
- Treatment of various gastrointestinal problems.
- Treatment of allergic reactions in infants.
- Prevention of excessive formation of unhealthy bacteria in the intestine.
- Relieving the health problems caused by lactose intolerance.
- Prevention of various respiratory tract diseases like cold, influenza and other infections.
- Treating Chron’s disease.
If you want to take these supplements for the treatment of some particular health condition, you must consult a health care practitioner to know the kind of probiotic strain you should use. It is also advisable to know all the pros and cons of these supplements along with their potential health effects before you start using them.